Ebon Dawn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ebon Dawn

Magic the Gathering clan, Ebon Dawn.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ebony Owl Netsuke

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
thelaughingtree
Veteran Champion
Veteran Champion
thelaughingtree

Ebony Owl Netsuke Empty
PostSubject: Ebony Owl Netsuke   Ebony Owl Netsuke I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 11:07 am

Ok folks - We are here to talk about EBONY OWL NETSUKE - Here is the text:
'At the beginning of each opponents upkeep, if that player has 7 or more cards in hand, Ebony Owl Netsuke deals 4 damage to him / her.'

This card is so bad ass... With our typical clan start of 30/10, it reached superstardom status. But my question is - Is it too overpowered of a card for clan play?

I'm voting to ban it simpley bacause how I saw it in action during the 3hg game the other day... It is a GREAT card, but it was ruining the game imho.

Let me know your thoughts.
Thx
Back to top Go down
Admin
Veteran Champion
Veteran Champion
Admin

Ebony Owl Netsuke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebony Owl Netsuke   Ebony Owl Netsuke I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 11:24 am

thelaughingtree wrote:
Ok folks - We are here to talk about EBONY OWL NETSUKE - Here is the text:
'At the beginning of each opponents upkeep, if that player has 7 or more cards in hand, Ebony Owl Netsuke deals 4 damage to him / her.'

This card is so bad ass... With our typical clan start of 30/10, it reached superstardom status. But my question is - Is it too overpowered of a card for clan play?

I'm voting to ban it simpley bacause how I saw it in action during the 3hg game the other day... It is a GREAT card, but it was ruining the game imho.

Let me know your thoughts.
Thx

In the spirit of our events I concur. However before I can put this up for a vote, I'll need more people to chime in on this issue.
Back to top Go down
https://ebondawn.forumotion.com
Kaotics

Kaotics

Ebony Owl Netsuke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebony Owl Netsuke   Ebony Owl Netsuke I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 11:33 pm

i agree completely and i was on the losing side unlike tree
Back to top Go down
DarkPact

DarkPact

Ebony Owl Netsuke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebony Owl Netsuke   Ebony Owl Netsuke I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 6:32 pm

I was on the losing side of the battle as well, and I am going to say that I think Ebony Owl Netsuke is just fine. Players need to be prepared for a variety of enviroments, and frankly, the three of us were not. The result was of course a quick loss, but lets take this as a lesson and BE prepared next time. Enough of building decks that don't have outs to various builds. The thing I was upset at the other night is that it was supposed to be a 2HG event and we ran it as a 3HG event, we didnt know how to seat properly, so the teams ended up skewed. We need to have better organization in this case, and with my new status as our clan Ambassador I will hope to be at several events to oversee just this exactly. 3HG is a format that the clan rarely plays, although one member (Skinny) admitted in game that 3HG is his bread and butter. Let's not go overboard and ban a card juust because he exploited everyone and caught them offguard. The thing we are neglecting to also see, is that I also was running Ebony Owl Netsuke, Skinny's deck was just faster to get it down in play, and we had to play catch-up. I believe that pts for the event should be revoked as Kross stated in another post, as the event was not supposed to be 3HG, but 2HG instead. Due to the fact that we played 3HG we had several players who showed up ten minutes late and were locked out of a game for that night, which I also saw as unfair. I would like to see a 3HG event run possibly bi-monthly in place of 2HG. If there are formats the clan does not currently run lets see how we can divide our schedule up, because this will ultimately make us into well rounded players who are good in a variety of formats, instead of just a handful.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Veteran Champion
Veteran Champion
Admin

Ebony Owl Netsuke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebony Owl Netsuke   Ebony Owl Netsuke I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 8:13 am

I'm inclined to agree w/ both parties; nay or yay. I do agree that players need to be better prepared and to start thinking outside of the box.

If you are continuously getting beaten by artifacts and enchantments, you might want to consider beefing up your defenses for those contingencies. However, if you are playing cards that are exploiting our clan game setup, you might want to consider in the spirt of the events (game) to stop playing those, or risk being targetted every event by everyone.

Personally, I think for the most part everyone is building decks in conjunction w/ our rules/policy. I also think that there are some who are trying to break our rules through technicalities. For the latter, it is my (leader) final say whether your attempts will succeed or not. I can be Democratic or a Dictator, you decide.
Back to top Go down
DarkPact

DarkPact

Ebony Owl Netsuke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebony Owl Netsuke   Ebony Owl Netsuke I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 1:39 pm

I've always been a big fan of the fact that people can police themselves. We're not 6 year olds here. If people make a choice they are ultimately the one who has to live with that choice. I think Kross makes an excellent point that if you DO run the.....more risque cards to our format, expect that you might get targetted by everyone next go around. This is reality. Banning cards just makes things brainless in my opinion. We already have several cards/deck builds banned. I think that as long as it doesn't completely break rules (eg. an LD deck, that kills basics, or an unlimitted mana loop) it should be allowed. With that said, if you're someone who likes to 'bend' the rules, expect that you might get dogpiled the next few times you play.
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

Ebony Owl Netsuke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebony Owl Netsuke   Ebony Owl Netsuke I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 2:14 pm

DarkPact wrote:
I've always been a big fan of the fact that people can police themselves. We're not 6 year olds here. If people make a choice they are ultimately the one who has to live with that choice. I think Kross makes an excellent point that if you DO run the.....more risque cards to our format, expect that you might get targetted by everyone next go around. This is reality. Banning cards just makes things brainless in my opinion. We already have several cards/deck builds banned. I think that as long as it doesn't completely break rules (eg. an LD deck, that kills basics, or an unlimitted mana loop) it should be allowed. With that said, if you're someone who likes to 'bend' the rules, expect that you might get dogpiled the next few times you play.

That is fine that people can police themselves, the only problem is that we still have our officers to police the events for us. If we really believed that people would not use banned cards and combos, then there would be no need to have people watch the matches. I do think that there are some cards that are just too powerful for the clan's play style. Ebony Owl may not need to be banned, but then again, maybe it should. LD is banned because it is no fun to play against (and in my opinion play) and cards like Curse of the Cabal are just too easily abused. Ebony Owl has now fallen under the status of no fun to play against and it is too easily abused. Personally, i think that the other poll has been up long enough and now we need to vote on this subject.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Veteran Champion
Veteran Champion
Admin

Ebony Owl Netsuke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebony Owl Netsuke   Ebony Owl Netsuke I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 9:43 pm

Kaotics wrote:
DarkPact wrote:

That is fine that people can police themselves, the only problem is that we still have our officers to police the events for us. If we really believed that people would not use banned cards and combos, then there would be no need to have people watch the matches. I do think that there are some cards that are just too powerful for the clan's play style. Ebony Owl may not need to be banned, but then again, maybe it should. LD is banned because it is no fun to play against (and in my opinion play) and cards like Curse of the Cabal are just too easily abused. Ebony Owl has now fallen under the status of no fun to play against and it is too easily abused. Personally, i think that the other poll has been up long enough and now we need to vote on this subject.

The vote is now in the Voting section.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ebony Owl Netsuke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebony Owl Netsuke   Ebony Owl Netsuke I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ebony Owl Netsuke
Page 1 of 1