Ebon Dawn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ebon Dawn

Magic the Gathering clan, Ebon Dawn.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Epic Magic Moments

Go down 
+4
thelaughingtree
Jetdoc
DarkPact
Kaotics
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Kaotics

Kaotics

Epic Magic Moments Empty
PostSubject: Epic Magic Moments   Epic Magic Moments I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 10:16 pm

If you have been a witness to an epic moment during magic, I am starting this thread so all can know of those moments.

Here is one I witnessed: It all happened about a year ago, I was at a tournament at a local card shop (C&R Comics for those who may want to visit me in wichita). We were playing a classic tournament and someone was running 4 force of wills, all foil. the finals ended up with a timewarp player versus this guy with the foil FoWs. the FoW deck just stompped every deck it came across except for this one timewarp deck. They kept going back and forth with spells and counters when I noticed that the FoW plaer had all 4 in hand and a few other blue cards that would not have helped him. The turn went down like this.... the timewarp player plays his namesake card....the FoW player hard casts one of the FoWs, the timewarp player plays Last Word. dude gets pissed.... next turn, the tw player casts another after playing a few cheap cards.....another attempt at FoW and another Last word..... he is steaming now.... next turn, the timewarp player casts his big creature....FOW, last word.... he is really pissed now..... the turn passes and the fow player casts mind control on the creature, leaving just enough mana to hard cast a cancel and the FoW..... turn passes and the timewarp player casts a bounce spell on the mind control....cancel, counterspell, FoW, Last Word.... it was so funny, the FoW player got so pissed he flipped the table and ended up bending 2 of his prized cards..... I could not stop laughing.....
Back to top Go down
DarkPact

DarkPact

Epic Magic Moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epic Magic Moments   Epic Magic Moments I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 10:51 pm

why was he playing Mind Control and not Control Magic? seems kind of silly to up the curve for no reason dontcha think?
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

Epic Magic Moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epic Magic Moments   Epic Magic Moments I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 6:17 am

I just told it like it happened.... i guess his win con was to steal your creatures and use them against you in repeated turns.... the point of the story is that FoW loses to Last Word.
Back to top Go down
Jetdoc

Jetdoc

Epic Magic Moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epic Magic Moments   Epic Magic Moments I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 6:57 am

Control-based duels are always fun to watch. Horrible to participate in, but fun to watch.

I once watched a game in real life where a Turbo Fog (milling) deck was up against a mono-green aggro deck. The aggro player was obviously getting frustrated, and the game seemed all but over. That was, until the last "killing" Brain Freeze revealed that the aggro player had four Vigors left in his deck.

You coulda heard a pin drop in the room.

Similar circumstance - the miller stood up, scooped and threw his Coke can across the room.

I guess control players really, really, really don't like it when they are in full control and then lose.
Back to top Go down
thelaughingtree
Veteran Champion
Veteran Champion
thelaughingtree

Epic Magic Moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epic Magic Moments   Epic Magic Moments I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 1:44 pm

Jetdoc wrote:

I guess control players really, really, really don't like it when they are in full control and then lose.

They really are a different breed... Typically as soon as they see they have no chance, they conceede. They are also typically silent. I usually ask them "You were the type of child that liked to torture ants with magnifying glases, right?"

Control players - I see deep rooted issues.
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

Epic Magic Moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epic Magic Moments   Epic Magic Moments I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 2:04 pm

I have never really understood control deck players.... It is more fun to torture your enemies and watch them unsuccessfully attempt to stop you...
Back to top Go down
Huck101

Huck101

Epic Magic Moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epic Magic Moments   Epic Magic Moments I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 4:13 pm

I remember playing a scepter oath deck (Isochron scepter and oath of druids) with wishes for silver bullets and I played against the Hulk Smash deck....I was able to get my Darksteel collossus out and beat down but then his Quirian dryad deck started to pump out and he attacked me a few times...each time he would STP my Darksteels' so I had no win conditions. Well I had fire/Ice on the scepter and was able to stabilize so he couldn't deal lethal to me and I had a misdirection in hand. Our librarys started to play a factor since it was getting down to the last couple of cards and I knew that I'd have a gaea's blessing somewhere in my last few cards so I woulnd't deck out first, he knew that as well but he decided to play ugly and ancestral recall me to actually deck me on my draw step. I cast misdirection to target him and then he FoW'd it and I was stuck. My hopes were dashed and I was feeling pretty misreable about losing cause the guy was a jerk and he kept bragging about how he always wins our tourneys and he was better than anyone else. Before he ended his turn he was just trash talking and because I was feeling bad I dropped my head down and when I did...I saw the Fire/Ice on the stick and was using it to just tap his creatures and draw cards with it......well suffice it to say I actually took a minute to read the other half of Fire/Ice and then I knew I had won but I was using the card wrong the whole time because he was only at 4 life. I smiled and then I told him that at EOT I Fire him for 2, he looked at me and his face literally went from happy to WTF!!!!!! and I told him I was using the other half of Fire/Ice and deal him direct damage and he realized that he was done for on my upkeep Smile Everyone watching just cheered and we only saw Tom 2 more times and he eventually stopped coming Sad I'm not sure if it was because he lost but I'm pretty sure it was his attitude that really hurt his love of the game and it sux he never did come back to the shop
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

Epic Magic Moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epic Magic Moments   Epic Magic Moments I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 5:33 pm

@huck LMAO
Back to top Go down
thelaughingtree
Veteran Champion
Veteran Champion
thelaughingtree

Epic Magic Moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epic Magic Moments   Epic Magic Moments I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 5:49 pm

Huck101 wrote:
I remember playing a scepter oath deck (Isochron scepter and oath of druids) with wishes for silver bullets and I played against the Hulk Smash deck....I was able to get my Darksteel collossus out and beat down but then his Quirian dryad deck started to pump out and he attacked me a few times...each time he would STP my Darksteels' so I had no win conditions. Well I had fire/Ice on the scepter and was able to stabilize so he couldn't deal lethal to me and I had a misdirection in hand. Our librarys started to play a factor since it was getting down to the last couple of cards and I knew that I'd have a gaea's blessing somewhere in my last few cards so I woulnd't deck out first, he knew that as well but he decided to play ugly and ancestral recall me to actually deck me on my draw step. I cast misdirection to target him and then he FoW'd it and I was stuck. My hopes were dashed and I was feeling pretty misreable about losing cause the guy was a jerk and he kept bragging about how he always wins our tourneys and he was better than anyone else. Before he ended his turn he was just trash talking and because I was feeling bad I dropped my head down and when I did...I saw the Fire/Ice on the stick and was using it to just tap his creatures and draw cards with it......well suffice it to say I actually took a minute to read the other half of Fire/Ice and then I knew I had won but I was using the card wrong the whole time because he was only at 4 life. I smiled and then I told him that at EOT I Fire him for 2, he looked at me and his face literally went from happy to WTF!!!!!! and I told him I was using the other half of Fire/Ice and deal him direct damage and he realized that he was done for on my upkeep Smile Everyone watching just cheered and we only saw Tom 2 more times and he eventually stopped coming Sad I'm not sure if it was because he lost but I'm pretty sure it was his attitude that really hurt his love of the game and it sux he never did come back to the shop

LOL! That is sweet! Great finish & shut up a loud mouth... I'm guessing he was pissed enough to quit magic & is now a balding high school gym teacher
Back to top Go down
mdodge555

mdodge555

Epic Magic Moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epic Magic Moments   Epic Magic Moments I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 10:26 pm

Epic Magic Moments Om_nom11

kinda hard to see but this was an end of a prismatic event hamlet back powers from left to right -
hamlet 1 249/249, hamlet 2, 241/241, hamlet 3 160/160, hamlet 4 311/311, hamlet 5 185/185, hamlet 6 266/266

lifetotals: awe had the 346, me with 36, sauron with 19 and engine bringing up the rear with 9 (after being smashed that turn
Back to top Go down
Sauron

Sauron

Epic Magic Moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epic Magic Moments   Epic Magic Moments I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 1:17 am

That event was crazy, I thought awe had it in the bag when he jumped up to 350+ life but that was before awe did his sinful business with his rite of replication on the Hamlet Back. And they ALL. HAD. HASTE! Instant death out of nowhere, awesome!

PS its really weird seeing a game you were in with the players moved around from where they were on your own screen Suspect
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

Epic Magic Moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epic Magic Moments   Epic Magic Moments I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 9:01 am

wish i would have been around to see the end.... too bad i was so tired from waiting for dodge to join....
Back to top Go down
Minori

Minori

Epic Magic Moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epic Magic Moments   Epic Magic Moments I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 1:01 pm

Kaotics wrote:
I just told it like it happened.... i guess his win con was to steal your creatures and use them against you in repeated turns.... the point of the story is that FoW loses to Last Word.

Eh? Let Last word resolve. Counter the original spell again. Looks like the FoW player didn't know how to play the game properly.
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

Epic Magic Moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epic Magic Moments   Epic Magic Moments I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 3:37 pm

the guy playing the last word side-boarded them in game two just to stop FoW.
Back to top Go down
Minori

Minori

Epic Magic Moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epic Magic Moments   Epic Magic Moments I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 1:20 pm

No no. Minori meant like you can't actually last word a counter war and have the last word. Last word is by definition an "offensive" counterspell. If used to counter a counterspell, it is no better than a regular counterspell.

Time warp <-- Last word
Uncounterable counter to the spell (you can therefore only Mindbreak trap, venser or time stop to stop that)

Time warp <-- FoW <-- Last word
Allow last word to resolve, leaving Time warp on the stack by itself. Then FoW again, this time with the opponent tapped out.

This has proven to work every time because of how priority works in the game...The FoW player should have won if he knew how priority works...
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

Epic Magic Moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epic Magic Moments   Epic Magic Moments I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 5:11 pm

He also had to have them in hand for that to work and extra blue cards to ditch if needed to continue to try and counter.
Back to top Go down
Minori

Minori

Epic Magic Moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epic Magic Moments   Epic Magic Moments I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 11:04 am

So the reporting was wrong? Minori had the assumption it was over the course of like several consecutive turns from the time warp player with no turn in btween for the FoW player.
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

Epic Magic Moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epic Magic Moments   Epic Magic Moments I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 8:55 pm

sorry about how i reported it... that is why i is gettin edumacated on hows to tells a stories
Back to top Go down
Minori

Minori

Epic Magic Moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epic Magic Moments   Epic Magic Moments I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 10:58 pm

That's ok. As long as we got this worked out. :3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Epic Magic Moments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epic Magic Moments   Epic Magic Moments I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Epic Magic Moments
Page 1 of 1