Ebon Dawn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ebon Dawn

Magic the Gathering clan, Ebon Dawn.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Vote on Serra Ascendant

Go down 
4 posters

should Serra Ascendant be banned from regular clan events?
Yes
Vote on Serra Ascendant I_vote_lcap82%Vote on Serra Ascendant I_vote_rcap
 82% [ 9 ]
No
Vote on Serra Ascendant I_vote_lcap18%Vote on Serra Ascendant I_vote_rcap
 18% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage
DarkPact

DarkPact

Vote on Serra Ascendant Empty
PostSubject: Vote on Serra Ascendant   Vote on Serra Ascendant I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 4:20 pm

feel free to explain or discuss votes.
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

PostSubject: Re: Vote on Serra Ascendant   Vote on Serra Ascendant I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 8:45 pm

i think everyone is taking this card out of proportion.... it dies to any removal... yes it is an early threat but it can be overcome... but its whatever... if we ban it, we ban it...
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

PostSubject: Re: Vote on Serra Ascendant   Vote on Serra Ascendant I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 6:08 am

well... i guess i wont use the ascendants... yeah they may be "broken" but i still think everyone is blowing them out of proportion.
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

PostSubject: Re: Vote on Serra Ascendant   Vote on Serra Ascendant I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 6:14 am

sad thing is, there really is no discussion on it on the forum.... there was a little bit of concern and a few comments made on another thread but no real discussion.... it was banned from the moment you all saw it... i think that you should all just take a step back and realize that creature hate is another thing we should all try to bring... we already have enchant hate due to luminarch ascension and thanks to the thopter foundry, we should all start bringing artifact hate more.... but there is hardly enough targeted creature hate... Yes there are those that bring damnation and WoG spells, but i hardly ever see path to exile, doom blade or even a nice gatekeeper of malakir.... it seems to me that everyone is scared of a 1 casting creature that attempts to abuse our handicaps... If you would seriously look into bringing creature hate, then it will not pose as big of a threat as you are all making it out to be.... I will not comment on this card again... I will leave it to it's fate.
Back to top Go down
Jetdoc

Jetdoc

PostSubject: Re: Vote on Serra Ascendant   Vote on Serra Ascendant I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 11:19 am

I'll chime in my two cents.

From the opinions I've seen so far, I don't think anyone has an objection to the ability to remove this card from play. I think the main concern about the card is its power level related to its casting cost, the ONLY reason for which is our specific clan rules.

I think the Magic developers would have balked if this card read "if you have 20 or more life...", which is why they set it so "high" for normal magic to be 30 life.

I am typically the person that packs the most targeted creature hate of anyone in the clan (sometimes I get the comment "is that all you have?"), and even I am a bit taken aback about this card.
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

PostSubject: Re: Vote on Serra Ascendant   Vote on Serra Ascendant I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 11:58 am

but that is the thing... yes, it has a strong power level in relation to our rules... but that is the only thing everyone is basing a "yes" vote on. again... it is going to do me no good to plead a case for this card because everyone is scared of it... is it a strong card? yes... is it too strong for a player to handle? hell no... yes we make it start as a 6/6 flier with life link, but I also have to draw it... i had to dip down to 6 cards to even have it in my opening hand... that is with 4 of them in there.... to ban a card because it is fast is just ridiculous... Ebony Owl Netsuke was banned because it is too strong for clan play... The fact that someone would have to play 4 or more cards on their first turn to avoid the damage the following turn is the reason it got banned... There are just way too many ways to deal with Serra Ascendant... especially for anyone playing white or black which I have noticed a lot of people playing lately.
Back to top Go down
Jetdoc

Jetdoc

PostSubject: Re: Vote on Serra Ascendant   Vote on Serra Ascendant I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 12:16 pm

Kaotics wrote:
The fact that someone would have to play 4 or more cards on their first turn to avoid the damage the following turn is the reason it got banned... There are just way too many ways to deal with Serra Ascendant.

Aren't there like 1,000 ways to deal with Ebony Owl Netsuke on turn 2 as well?

I think a lot of the arguments you are making about Serra are similar to the Owl. The only difference is that the Owl damages EVERYONE, while the Serra would likely only damage one player.
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

PostSubject: Re: Vote on Serra Ascendant   Vote on Serra Ascendant I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 3:38 pm

exactly... but again, i also did not call for the owl to be banned... in fact I offered up both sides of the argument as to why it should and shouldn't be banned
Back to top Go down
DarkPact

DarkPact

PostSubject: Re: Vote on Serra Ascendant   Vote on Serra Ascendant I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 2:25 pm

Kaotics wrote:
I will not comment on this card again... I will leave it to it's fate.

let it go Kao.....just because you overpayed for a playset of them hoping you'd be able to abuse a clan rule, similiar to Netsuke in our clan rule.....in a normal game, 20/7 Netsuke is pretty easy to dodge for the most part. Just like Ascendant. Im not scared of the card, Im just using logic, which I think most others are as well.
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

PostSubject: Re: Vote on Serra Ascendant   Vote on Serra Ascendant I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 5:30 pm

i only payed 2 tix i traded off 2 cards for the other 3....
Back to top Go down
DarkPact

DarkPact

PostSubject: Re: Vote on Serra Ascendant   Vote on Serra Ascendant I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 3:27 pm

the yays outweight the nays here, in a 9-2 slide. Serra Ascendant is now officially banned in regularly sanctioned clan events. He will be added to the banned list soon and this ruling will take effect next scheduled clan event.

Note: he is still legal in afterhours where we play the same 30/10 format.
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

PostSubject: Re: Vote on Serra Ascendant   Vote on Serra Ascendant I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 7:39 pm

mumble....grumble........
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

PostSubject: Re: Vote on Serra Ascendant   Vote on Serra Ascendant I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 7:00 pm

I know now why he is banned.... I played a soul sisters deck.... fucking annoying as all hell
Back to top Go down
Minori

Minori

PostSubject: Re: Vote on Serra Ascendant   Vote on Serra Ascendant I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 9:36 pm

Yeah, Soul Sisters is really annoying, but cool at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

PostSubject: Re: Vote on Serra Ascendant   Vote on Serra Ascendant I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 12:43 am

i have a version that is clan legal... i have yet to play it though...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vote on Serra Ascendant   Vote on Serra Ascendant I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vote on Serra Ascendant
Page 1 of 1