Ebon Dawn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ebon Dawn

Magic the Gathering clan, Ebon Dawn.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Questionable cards for events

Go down 
+2
Jetdoc
DarkPact
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DarkPact

DarkPact

Questionable cards for events Empty
PostSubject: Questionable cards for events   Questionable cards for events I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 10:21 am

Questionable cards for events Fyyvtmtwae_EN

Questionable cards for events Divinity-of-pride

Questionable cards for events Serra%20Avatar

Questionable cards for events CreateProductThumbnail

due to the nature of the games we play, should these cards also be tentatively banned from clan play? {30 Life 10 Card regular clan sanctioned events}

Back to top Go down
Jetdoc

Jetdoc

PostSubject: Re: Questionable cards for events   Questionable cards for events I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 10:47 am

Not sure why Divinity of Pride or Serra Avatar would be banned, since both of them "technically" come online later in the game.

I agree that Serra Ascendant is nuts in our format, and should be considered. I am more worried about Black Vise than Iron Maiden in our format, since it's basically a turn 1 drop that can annihilate a specific opponent in four turns. Iron Maiden at least comes online after players can have a multitude of answers for it.
Back to top Go down
DarkPact

DarkPact

PostSubject: Re: Questionable cards for events   Questionable cards for events I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 10:51 am

well both pride and maiden can be had via dark ritual first turn. I put serra avatar in for her combo with Sneak Attack. Black Vise should also be in consideration though.
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

PostSubject: Re: Questionable cards for events   Questionable cards for events I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 11:00 am

i believe that iron maiden is similar to the owl.... which seems to be in favor of being banned, i say yes to banning it. the others however, they are immediately strong threats but can be taken care of with cards like doom blade, diabolic edict, cruel edict, bone splinters, feast of blood, smother (in the case of the ascendant), path to exile, terminate, the list goes on.... there are so many answers to early power cards. so creatures shouldnt be banned unless they overly abuse their ability with clan rules.
Back to top Go down
Minori

Minori

PostSubject: Re: Questionable cards for events   Questionable cards for events I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 11:05 am

Pride takes 2 rituals to be powered out first turn. That's tough to do. By 3rd turn there should be kill against it already.

Sneak Attack is a fairly late card by itself, being 4 mana. It also opens the player up for HUGE hate. Minori is not sure about sneak attack + serra avatar combo is that ridiculous when sneak attack itself may not be the greatest thing ever.

Entomb might want to be part of the consideration package as well. THAT would get serra avatar out turn 1.
Back to top Go down
DarkPact

DarkPact

PostSubject: Re: Questionable cards for events   Questionable cards for events I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 11:29 am

I mostly am bringing these cards up because they are things I've been asked about and it's nice for people to see the responses to it. I do agree about the vise and Minori has some good things to say about Sneak Attack. However, Entomb also has good first turn answers to it.

Back to top Go down
thelaughingtree
Veteran Champion
Veteran Champion
thelaughingtree

PostSubject: Re: Questionable cards for events   Questionable cards for events I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 6:39 pm

In response to the four cards -
The Serra Ascendant should be banned IMHO
Divinity & Serra Avatar are ok by me
The Iron Maiden, I'd prefer not see it played.
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

PostSubject: Re: Questionable cards for events   Questionable cards for events I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 7:33 am

I want a vote on the ascendant..... I traded off 2 cards to get a playset and I am sure that most everyone will try to get at least one or two fo them.... I dont think it should be banned because of my earlier statement... it is easily killed off on first turn..... heck, even second turn can handle it.... there are just so many ways to deal with a creature like that on first or second turn....
Back to top Go down
thelaughingtree
Veteran Champion
Veteran Champion
thelaughingtree

PostSubject: Re: Questionable cards for events   Questionable cards for events I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 11:35 am

ok - i vote no - it is a retarded card for our format
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

PostSubject: Re: Questionable cards for events   Questionable cards for events I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 2:39 pm

so you voted no on it being banned?
Back to top Go down
Pantherzone2003

PostSubject: Re: Questionable cards for events   Questionable cards for events I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 8:09 pm

Ascendant shall be voted a yes for ban since the casting cost is way too low. I believe ascendant favors the banning. Lets put up to a vote and decide by the clan.
Back to top Go down
Minori

Minori

PostSubject: Re: Questionable cards for events   Questionable cards for events I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 8:19 pm

thelaughingtree wrote:
In response to the four cards -
The Serra Ascendant should be banned IMHO
Divinity & Serra Avatar are ok by me
The Iron Maiden, I'd prefer not see it played.

Echoing decision here.

The problem with Ascendant is the fact that it's too fast and swings for a 12-point swing starting on turn 2. Compare this with basically any other creature and you'll see why this is overcentralizing: anyone who plays white pretty much has to play 4 copies to stay afloat because the opponent would just be so far ahead by turn 3.
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

PostSubject: Re: Questionable cards for events   Questionable cards for events I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 8:59 pm

I still think you are all blowing his "speed" out of proportion.... I still think it is a card that is easily handled.... yes the netsuke can be handled just as easily, but if you are not running white, red or green, good luck with that then....
Back to top Go down
DarkPact

DarkPact

PostSubject: Re: Questionable cards for events   Questionable cards for events I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 12:51 am

netsuke can be handled with echoing truth, and that isnt a white red or green card. Any bounce will do it really.... The point is muchly moot though. Ascendant has been beat to death, lets switch topic to Iron Maiden and get some other ppls thoughs on it
Back to top Go down
Kaotics

Kaotics

PostSubject: Re: Questionable cards for events   Questionable cards for events I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 5:16 am

fine, because we banned netsuke, we should also ban the iron maiden.... they have a similar effect (even though the owl is definitely a lot stronger and has a bigger restriction). If you would like, I can go find more questionable cards....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questionable cards for events   Questionable cards for events I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questionable cards for events
Page 1 of 1